Tips for Taking Care of Your Eyeglasses
You spend a lot of time and money, picking out the perfect pair of eyeglasses to fit your needs. You get to choose the design, color and share that best suits you. Even though it’s quite a seamless process, it’s probably not something you want to do again soon. So, how can you get your money’s worth and ensure these eyeglasses last as long as possible?
If you see particles, smudges, or fingerprints on your frames, it’s time for you to clean them. We recommend cleaning your eyeglasses at least once a day to keep them in their optimal state. Be sure to follow these best cleaning practices:
- Thoroughly wash your hands before cleaning
- Rinse your eyeglasses off with lukewarm water to remove any dust or debris
- Apply a small amount of spray or liquid cleaner specific for glasses to the frames
- Gently rub both sides of the lenses and clean the nose pads and temples that rest on your ears
- Rinse your glasses off with lukewarm water to remove any remaining cleaning solution
- Either let them air dry or carefully dry your lenses with a clean, lint-free cloth
When cleaning your eyeglasses:
- Don’t use saliva or any liquid besides water or a lens cleaning solution to wet your lenses.
- Don’t use any household glass or surface cleaners to clean your eyeglasses.
- Don’t use paper towels, your shirt, napkins, or tissues to clean your lenses. This could lead to unwanted scratches or smears.
Avoid DIY Fixing
If you need your eyeglasses fixed for any reason – bent temple, missing nose piece, scratched frame, or whatever the case may be, schedule an appointment with an optician. DIY fixing is excellent, but only when it is successful. If you do not fix your eyeglasses properly, you may end up with further damage and the immediate need to purchase another pair. Always leave it to the professionals.
Eyeglasses can scratch easy if you do not store them carefully. Never lay your eyeglasses on the table or counter with the lenses facing down. When traveling, always place your glasses in a clean storage case.
Need to purchase new eyeglasses?
At Vision Associates, we carry a large selection of frames and lenses from different manufacturers. With our extensive selection, our licensed opticians can assist you in selecting the right pair to fit your needs and budget. There are no appointments necessary, and we are even open on Saturdays! To learn more or to ask us about our value-line of frames and lenses for as low as $99, please call Vision Associates at 419-578-2020.
- Causes of Dry Eye
- Vision Associates Offers Many Options For Vision Correction
- Signs of Retinal Detachment
- Age-Related Macular Degeneration – Facts You Should Know
- Who Is a Candidate for LASIK?
- Caring for Patients with Diabetic Retinopathy
- What Are the Symptoms of Cataracts?
- Effects of Computers on Teen Vision
- The Importance of UV Protection
- 5 Common Eye Care Myths | Eye Exam in Toledo